How Waluigi joined the Tourney
A twig-thin man who sees himself as Luigi's ultimate rival. He spent a long time working silently in the shadow of the Mario Bros. before finally becoming strong enough to compete with them in Mario Tennis. Since then, he's had many brilliant game appearances. While the nature of his relationship to Wario is a mystery, the pair have hatched some devious schemes together.
How to Unlock
The player must accomplish one of these tasks to unlock Waluigi:
- Play 3 Versus Mode matches.
- Using Wario, finish Classic Mode.
- Using Wario, finish Classic-Adventure Mode.
- Using Wario, win one Versus Mode match.
Players can avoid fighting Waluigi by purchasing him from the Smash Store for 800 Smash Coins. In Tourney 2, players can also avoid fighting him by making a wish from Black Star Shenron. For all of the aforementioned requirements, the player will have to fight Waluigi at Rainbow Road. Upon defeating him, after purchasing him, or after making the wish for him from Black Star Shenron, the announcer will say "Someone else has joined the Tourney!" after a Smash Ball appears on the lower-right corner of the screen with a message saying "You can now Waluigi, the eternal understudy." He will be seen on the far left of the character select screen, left of Lars, above Captain John Price, and below Dr. Bosconovitch.
Character Select Screen Animation
Swings his racket endlessly.
After the announcer calls his name
Waluigi swings his racket down and the camera zooms as he says "Yeah, yeah, yeah!".
Explosive Serve (Neutral)
Waluigi will throw a Bob-omb into the air as if it were a tennis ball. Players will have to press "B" again to cause Waluigi to serve the Bob-omb, whacking it away with his tennis racquet, if the Bob-omb connects with a foe it will detonate causing DMG and knock back- don't worry though these Bob-ombs don't seem to be nearly as powerful as regular Bob-ombs. If Players don't press "B" again Waluigi will let the Bob-Omb fall back into his hands this will allow Waluigi to fool foes into thinking he is about to attack, however this will also cause Waluigi to be holding onto a live Bob-omb if Waluigi doesn't sever it soon it will detonate and deal DMG to anyone within range of teh explosion- including Waluigi! Players can sever the Bob-omb at different heights allowing the trajectory of the Bob-omb to differ.
Waluigi will glow purple and take off running leaving behind him a growing trail of thorny vines. While using this special move, Waluigi can also jump causing the vines to appear in mid air too. The vines will grow very quickly almost from nothing into tall walls of vines but this is fleeting as soon after reaching their full height they wither and vanish into purple smoke. Before the vines wither, they will deal DMG to foes that they touch and will act as a barrier preventing projectiles to pass through them, though if a patch of vines is attacked by projectiles this will cause that patch of vines to immediately die, causing that patch to vanish into purple smoke. Players can stop Waluigi from using Wall-Luigi by either releasing the "B" button or by turning to face the opposite direction. If "B" is tapped, Walluigi will sprint forward only a short bit causing a single patch of vines to appear.
Waluigi will hop bending his body to resemble his emblem: an upside down 'L' and spins creating a whirlwind to kick up around him. Tapping "B" while holding "up" on the directional pad wall boost Waluigi a bit into the air each time "B" is tapped. Anyone who touches Waluigi will receive racking DMG and spin away from Waluigi in their own whirlwind capable of dealing DMG and knock back to other Players. Waluigi can be boosted five times, after a fifth boost Waluigi will enter a helpless state until he touches a platform, but can use this up to four times without entering a helpless state.
Risky Dice Block (Down)
A Dice Block suddenly appears over Waluigi's head and Waluigi hops upward punching it from below causing the block to shatter! What did he get? Remember it's not called the Risky Dice Block for nothing! The Risky Dice Block has six sides but only two effects: if Waluigi rolls a "6" he will be granted an attack boost dealing an additional 6% DMG to the next attack he lands on a foe. However if Waluigi rolls a "-2 coin" instead, he will become stunned as two coins fly out of his body just like in Mario Party. Waluigi will be wide open to attacks if this happens. There are four faces of the block that result in a "6" being rolled while the remaining two faces will result in a "-2 coin" being rolled. Players can hold down the "B" button to continue to let the Risky Dice Block spin overhead, who knows maybe keeping it spinning will improve Waluigi's chances of getting a good result? Foes can take DMG for this if they are close enough to the Risky Dice Block when it shatters. Foes can attack the Risky Dice Block causing it to shatter though this will likely result in DMG to that foe and it's effect will only be applied to Waluigi.
Bombs Away (Final Smash)
Time slows down and a green energy gauge appears around Waluigi, is he using Zone Speed!? Waluigi dashes forward depleting his energy gauge as he moves if Waluigi connects with anyone he will deliver a powerful blow with his raquet. The camera will cut to the foe falling backward landing and bouncing off the ground, they get up looking a bit dazed, looks like they're standing in a tennis court! Suddenly Waluigi appears and gives them their very own tennis raquet, with a devious laugh Waluigi vanishes off screen. The affected foe looks at the racquet then looks up and gasps. The camera cuts to Waluigi who is now at the controls of what looks like a repurposed tennis ball machine, but instead of the machine being fed tennis balls it's loaded with Bob-ombs! "WAH-HA-HA-HA!" Waluigi laughs and begins firing Bob-ombs at the foe. The camera cuts back to the foe who suddenly looks determined and poised to knock the Bob-ombs back with the racquet but as they prepare to swing the racquet breaks! A volley of Bob-ombs crash down around the foe in colorful explosions dealing racking DMG from each explosion all the while Waluigi cracks up laughing the screen goes white and the foe is dealt huge knock back.
- Waluigi does some wild racket swings laughing "Wa ha ha waaa!".
- Waluigi raises his open arm up saying "Yeah! Waluigi's the winner!".
- Waluigi swipes his arm then gives a thumbs down saying "Big deal, loser!".
Waluigi appears from an explosion saying "Waluigi time!".
- Waluigi has the same English voice actor that is used by Mario, Luigi, Wario, Toadsworth, and MC Ballyhoo.
- Waluigi is one of the many most requested characters for Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. 4 combined that makes an appearance as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Tourney and its sequel. The others are Ridley, Mamoswine, Eevee, Oshawott, Genesect, Zoroark, Gogoat, Takamaru, Chibi-Robo, Krystal, Ghirahim, Petey Piranha, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Chrom, Galacta Knight, Jody Summer, Prince of Sable, Kid Icarus's Magnus, and Bowser Jr. Ironically, the latter character DOES appear in Super Smash Bros. 4 as an unlockable playable character (3DS version only, Bowser Jr. doesn't need to be unlocked in the Wii U version).
- He along with Ghirahim, Eevee, Genesect, Oshawott, Zoroark, Prince of Sable, Kid Icarus's Magnus, and Takamaru are the only much requested characters that could be summoned.
- He along with Galacta Knight and Kid Icarus's Magnus are the only much requested veterans that must be unlocked.
- He along with Jody Summer are the only much requested veterans that can be imitated by Combot and not by Mokujin, Tetsujin, and Kinjin.
- He is the only much requested veteran that uses a recycled quote for his Star KO quote instead of an original quote; in this case, his Big No from various Mario series games such as Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Mario Party 9.
- Waluigi is the only character in all of the Super Smash Bros. Tourney series to NOT use the usual Final Smash SFX, which is the SFX used when activating an Ultra Combo in Street Fighter IV, when activating his Final Smash. Instead, the Level 3 Hyper Combo SFX from Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds is used when he does his Final Smash. Ge DOES use the usual Hyper Smash SFX in Super Smash Bros. Tourney, which is the SFX used when activating a Super Combo in Street Fighter IV, when activating his Hyper Smash.
- Waluigi is the first character unlocked in Versus match order.
- Waluigi is also the only character with more than two non-Versus Mode unlocking requirements in all of the Tourney series, and all of them require the usage of Wario.
- Waluigi's backstory is also his trophy description from Brawl.
- The rival of Waluigi is the well-known final boss of the Soul series, Inferno.